In addition to posts on Spiritual Formation, History and Prayer, American Psalms offers this weekly update with relevant Prayer Points, a featured American leader to pray for, and tips on growing in your Christian walk as you pray for America. Please join us in praying for the nation.
Prayer Points for the Week of July 01 – July 07, 2012:
- The week of Independence Day is a great time to start praying for the country. If you’ve not already done so, visit The First Prayer page on this blog and make a commitment to pray for our nation on a regular basis.
- Praise God for our independence this week! We too easily take our freedom for granted and should be reminded that our liberties come at a price. Remember to pray for the families of our fallen soldiers this Independence Day.
- Devastating storms have left more than a dozen people dead on the east coast and millions without power or air conditioning in the sweltering heat. Pray for the families who have lost loved ones, the workers trying to restore power and those who are still in danger, particularly the elderly and young children.
- Nearly 350 homes were destroyed in the Colorado wildfires last week. Pray for the families who have lost their homes and so much more.
- Pray for a revitalization of faith in America. May we not be complacent in our lives, but be Christians of compassion-based action.
- As always, remember to pray for our president and his family (1 Timothy 2:1-3). Even if you disagree with his policies, you are called to pray for him without bias. A sample prayer for the President is available here.
“I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone–for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.” (1 Timothy 2:1-4, NIV)
This week’s featured Authority is Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta:
Name: Leon E. Panetta
Birthdate: June 28, 1938
Position: Secretary of Defense
Duties Include: Authority over the Department of Defense, serving as a member of the President’s Cabinet and the National Security Council, Advising the President and developing national defense policy.
Spouse: Sylvia Panetta
Children: Secretary Panetta has three sons and six grandchildren.
You can learn more about Secretary Panetta and his duties by visiting the Department of Defense website. Remember to pray for the secretary and his family throughout this week.
Please see the Condition of Use for this blog.
© Joshua J. Masters and American Psalms, 2012.
Fireworks Photo Credit: U.S. Army Flickr Stream