In addition to posts on Spiritual Formation, History and Prayer, American Psalms offers this weekly update with relevant Prayer Points, a featured American leader to pray for, and tips on growing in your Christian walk as you pray for America. Please join us in praying for the nation.
The Praying Patriot Tip:
One of the things that makes praying for our leaders so difficult is that we so often disagree with them. Okay… I’m being politically correct. Sometimes we don’t even like them. God tells us to pray for those in authority over us—not just for the ones we like or who serve in our own political party.
This week’s Praying Patriot tip is the easiest and probably the hardest. In addition to the Weekly Prayer List below, choose two political leaders who serve in a political party different than your own and pray for them. But be careful. Don’t pray for them to be more like you, pray that God to allow you to see them through His eyes instead of your own (I know… Ouch). Pray for them by name, pray for their safety and wisdom, but don’t pray to change their mind on any specific issue. This is an exercise in changing your heart, not theirs.
Prayer Points for the Week of May 6-May 12, 2012:
- If you’ve not already done so, visit The First Prayer page on this blog and make a commitment to pray for our nation on a regular basis.
- Over the weekend, President Nicolas Sarkozy of France was defeated by Socialist candidate Francois Hollande. As we await the results of other national elections in Europe, please remember Secretary Clinton, our embassies and American diplomats as the United States builds relationships with these new government officials.
- In a phone call to Capitol Hill, Chinese dissident Chen Guangcheng specifically asked for Secretary Clinton’s help getting out of China safely. This could have a serious impact on American-Chinese relations. Pray for the U.S. Embassy in Beijing that’s trying to work out a deal with the Chinese government to bring Guangcheng to New York.
- The Pentagon recently announced the deployment of several F22 jets (our most advanced Fighter Jets) to within 200 miles of Iran’s border. As the United States continues to seek diplomatic solutions to Iran’s nuclear program, please pray for the wisdom of Secretary Clinton, her staff and the other diplomats involved.
- Regarding our relationships in the Middle East, within a week of each other, the President recently declared May 2012 as Jewish American Heritage Month, but also released a memo reversing the ban on sending funds to the Palestinian Authority. Pray for the wisdom of those executing this order and for our relationship with Israel.
- As always, remember to pray for our president and his family (1 Timothy 2:1-3). A sample prayer for the President is available here.
“I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone–for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.” (1 Timothy 2:1-4, NIV)
This week’s featured Authority is Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton:
Name: Hillary Rodham Clinton
Birth-date: October 26, 1947
Position: Secretary of State
Duties Include: Conducting negotiations relating to U.S. foreign affairs, Negotiating, interpreting, and terminating treaties and agreements, Administering the Department of State, Ensuring the protection of the U.S. Government to American citizens, property, and interests in foreign countries.
Living Parents: Dorothy Rodham
Spouse: Former President Bill Clinton
Children: Chelsea Clinton
You can learn more about Secretary Clinton and her duties by visiting the State Department website. Remember to pray for the secretary and her family throughout this week.
Please see the Condition of Use for this blog.
© Joshua J. Masters and American Psalms, 2012.
Praying Hands Photo Credit: Jasper Noer