In addition to posts on Spiritual Formation, History and Prayer, American Psalms offers this weekly update with relevant Prayer Points, a featured American leader to pray for, and tips on growing in your Christian walk as you pray for America. Please join us in praying for the nation.
The Praying Patriot Tip:
We are called to pray for those in authority over us (1 Timothy 2:1-3), but is praying for the nation enough? I would suggest that God wants us to do more—he wants us to be engaged. Scripture tells us that the way we treat others is a direct reflection of how God feels we’re treating him:
“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’” (Matthew 25:40)
Yes, we should pray for the nation, but one of those petitions should be for God to change our own hearts. We should be asking him to open our eyes to the needs of those around us; we should be asking God to reveal opportunities for us to serve our community. We should be praying that we become the change we want to see in America.
Prayer Points for the Week of April 08-13, 2012:
- If you’ve not already done so, write out your Declaration of Prayer for America. If you’re not sure how to get started, visit “The First Prayer” posted on this blog.
- According to the Congressional Budget Office, the government ran a deficit of $780 Billion in the first half of the fiscal year. That’s how much money was spent without the income to pay for it. We must pray for financial stewardship in America. Remember, “the borrower is the slave of the lender” (Proverbs 22:7 ESV)
- Nearly 350 homes were destroyed and another 750 damaged when tornadoes swept through the Dallas,Texas area last week. Pray for the families who’ve lost their homes or need resources to repair the damage.
- A Navy Jet crashed into an apartment complex outside Virginia Beach last Friday. Praise God that there were so few injuries and lift up the families who will need support.
- Continue praying for Susan Rice who is representing America as the president of the U.N. Security Council for the month of April (a responsibility that rotates among member nations). Pray the United States is well represented in the political world of foreign relations.
- President Obama signed a law banning Congress from participating in insider trading last week. Pray for continued moral reform in Washington and remember to pray daily for the President and his family.
“I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone–for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.” (1 Timothy 2:1-4, NIV)
This week’s featured Authority is Attorney General Eric H. Holder:
Name: Eric H. Holder, Jr.
Birth date: January 21, 1951
Position: Attorney General
Duties Include: Authority over the Department of Justice, serving as a member of the President’s Cabinet, Advising the President, representing the United States in legal matters, appearing before the Supreme Court.
Spouse: Dr. Sharon Malone
Children: The Attorney General has three sons living at home with him.You can learn more about Attorney General Holder and his duties by visiting the Department of Justice website. Remember to pray for the Mr. Holder and his family throughout this week.
Please see the Condition of Use for this blog.
© Joshua J. Masters and American Psalms, 2012.
Praying Hands Photo Credit: Jasper Noer