In addition to posts on Spiritual Formation, History and Prayer, American Psalms offers this weekly update with relevant Prayer Points, a featured American leader to pray for, and tips on growing in your Christian walk as you pray for America. Please join us in praying for the nation.
Prayer Points for the Week of May 13-May 19, 2012:
- If you’ve not already done so, visit The First Prayer page on this blog and make a commitment to pray for our nation on a regular basis.
- Praise God for the protection and wisdom God gave to our agents who uncovered and intercepted a new bomb system that was being developed by our enemies last week. Pray that God will continue to give our agents discernment and protection so they might save more lives.
- The President honored 34 of America’s police officers in a White House ceremony on Saturday, thanking them for their “quiet courage” and sacrifice. Remember to pray for your own local police force and for their families.
- European elections and what CNN called “political chaos” in Greece continues to cast a shadow over the world’s economic future. It’s easy to become isolated in our thinking, but what happens over seas undoubtedly influences the stability of our own nation. Pray for our diplomats and our relationships with these countries.
- As always, remember to pray for our president and his family (1 Timothy 2:1-3). Even if you disagree with his policies, you are called to pray for him without bias. A sample prayer for the President is available here.
Try not to be political in your prayers for our leaders. Yes, you can pray for specific outcomes on policies in God’s will, but don’t forget that you’re praying for real people with families and struggles of their own. Pray for leaders in both political parties, and for God’s hand of protection to be on their households.
“I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone–for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.” (1 Timothy 2:1-4, NIV)
This week’s featured Authority is Speaker of the House John Boehner:
Name: John A. Boehner
Birth Date: November 17, 1949
Position: Speaker of the House of Representatives
Duties Include: Presiding officer over the House of Representatives, second in the presidential line of succession after the Vice President, sets legislative agendas, and serves as the representative for the Eighth Congressional District of Ohio
Spouse: Debbie Boehner
Children: Lindsay and Tricia.
You can learn more about Speaker Boehner and his duties by visiting the Speaker of the House website. Remember to pray for the Speaker and his family throughout this week.
Please see the Condition of Use for this blog.
© Joshua J. Masters and American Psalms, 2012.
Praying Hands Photo Credit: Jasper Noer